Thursday, May 7, 2009

Star Trek

Okay, so before I begin: I am well aware that this is not an obscure subject.  But I just got back from a 7:31pm screening of the new Star Trek movie and I feel the need to talk about it.
Now, Star Trek was supposed to come out last year, around Christmastime.  They pushed it back in order to advertise it for a wider audience and work on the effects.  I actually had the opportunity to talk to Chris Pine (the guy playing James Kirk), and talked about the movie for a bit.  He was telling me that it was a hybrid of old-school sensibility and fresh ideas, and a whole lot of fun.  I desperately wanted to believe him, and was looking forward to the movie for over a year (basically since I heard it was coming out).  Now, as Nero says in the trailers, "The wait is over!"
Before talking about the movie proper: I am a huge Trek fan.  I started with Next Generation at a very young age, and have been hooked on the series (across its many incarnations) ever since.  I've seen every Trek movie since 6 (Undiscovered Country) in theaters, and count my experiences watching Trek with my father among the best times I've had with him.
When Paramount announced they were rebooting Trek, I knew they had a significant job ahead of them.  A legacy stretching back over 40 years, legions of dedicated fans, and a rich and complex history that has many self-appointed guardians ready to pounce on any perceived slight on their precious lore.  This new movie, in order to be successful on all fronts (with the hardcore fans all the way through to mainstream audiences), had to do 2 major things: It had to be a Trek movie, recognizeable to longtime fans as part of the legacy, and it had to be a relatable film that would be exciting and make fans of people that had never seen Trek before (or even hated Trek).  This seems to be an impossible goal, however.  To move toward one goal automatically seems to necessitate moving away from the other.  To make matters worse, trying to appease everyone by making a movie that rode that line down the middle would end up appeasing no one and failing utterly.  In light of all this, I sat in the theater tonigh with great anticipation as I waited for the film to begin.
To say it as quickly and simply as possible, "It is everything it needs to be, and more."  Now my personal point of view is as a longtime fan, so I know it worked on that level.  But I went with my wife, who is less a fan than I and more able to judge it from a mainstream persective.  I will cover both sides individually:
Fanboy perspective: Without spoiling the movie, I must say that anything you were wanting to hear or see as a longtime fan is in there.  "Damn it Jim..."?  It's there.  "I'm giving it all she's got..."?  Yep.  "These are the voyages..."?  It gave me chills.  Not to mention one of my favorite moments (I'll give two words and say no more of it): Kobayashi Maru.  This is classic Trek through and through, giving everything Trek should give while still raising the stakes and taking away any feeling of "Narrative Immortality" (something that most prequels fall victim to: you know that nothing can happen to these characters, because we know of future events they will be part of).  This is a love letter to the entire Trek legacy, and if you are in any way a fan, you owe it to yourself and the legacy of Trek to see this movie.
Mainstream perspective: If this were a completely original movie, with no legacy behind it, it would still be an incredible sci-fi action film.  The legacy is treated as a backdrop, part of the plot of the film, but a deep understanding is not required to follow allong.  There is the obligatory setup for a sequel, and no part of the film feels like it is pandering to the hardcore audience at the expence of the mainstream, or vice versa.  If you've never been a Trek fan, or even don't like Trek, see this movie.  It will change your mind.
This movie is so full of wonder, action, fan-service, and the pure, central appeal that has made Trek such a huge piece of the pop culture landscape, it is hard to believe anyone could leave this movie without loving it.
Ultimately, this film leaves me with two thoughts: The legacy is in good hands, and I can't wait to see where it is taken next.

No comments:

Post a Comment